Extinction Rebellion is a non violent civil disobedience movement formed in May 2018 by a group of academics and launched by Roger Hallam, Gail Bradbrook and others in October 2018. XR wants to rally support worldwide around a common sense of urgency to tackle climate breakdown.
Goals And Objectives
We act in accordance with XR principles, both locally and in London and around. We aim to:
- Be visible in the community to educate and remind the public that this is a Climate and Ecological Emergency, with public talks and films as well as actions
- Support national campaigns and Rebellions
- Liaise with XR Tring, Chesham and St Albans and the South East generally to be more effective
- Provide training and generate affinity groups for direct action
- Support and encourage one another
- Encourage Dacorum Borough Council, Herts CC and town councils to take the necessary actions to reduce their carbon footprints and support biodiversity locally
- Keep one another informed and inspired
Our Three Demands:
Tell the truth
Government must tell the truth by declaring a climate and ecological emergency, working with other institutions to communicate the urgency for change.
Government must act now to halt biodiversity loss and reduce greenhouse gas emissions to net zero by 2025.
Go Beyond Politics
Government must create and be led by the decisions of a Citizens’ Assembly on climate and ecological justice.